Mr. Heinlein had some pretty good ideas. Here are a few:
HEINLEIN’S RULES FOR WRITING
1. You must write.
2. You must finish what you write.
3. You must refrain from rewriting, except to editorial order.
4. You must put the work on the market.
5. You must keep the work on the market until it is sold.
I have added my number six and seven:
6. Once it is sold, you must promote it for no less than six months after it has been shining from the shelves.
7. And then, repeat steps 1-6–do it all over again. And again. And again.