Ensuring that a podcast has good sound is one of the most important things to consider. Here’s a short list of things to do and things to not do to make sure your podcast is a success.
- Use good quality smartphone or even better a landline.
- Remember to speak clearly and directly into the phone. Especially if using ear buds.
- If you are going to use Skype, be sure to test it beforehand. If you do not have good connectivity in your area, (meaning broadband at least) you may have issues.
- When dialing in using Skype, use a USB headset connected to your computer.
- Use your data plan for Internet rather than a wireless (WiFi) connection. Connectivity is so important!
- Close out of all applications except for Skype and/or your call recording software.
- Schedule your guest after you have done a dry run to check equipment and audio files for best sound output.
- Don’t use a speaker phone – this can cause annoying echoes and feedback.
- Don’t use a cheap cell phone – this can effect quality and lead to dropped calls.
- Don’t sit too close to your computer, as the sounds it makes will be picked up.
Be sure to check out the Writer Groupie Podcast player on the front page of this site.