Five Tools Every Writer Must Have
It may seem elementary, my dear Watson, that writers have tools, but for some, it is a brain-scratcher when you mention it. Well, yes, writers DO have tools just like any professional. Certain jobs require tools to get ‘er done. If you were an air conditioner repair man, you would have to have tools. If you were a tree trimmer, you would have to have tools, and most certainly if you were a car mechanic, you would need those tools.
Not a difference here. Writers write. But they need some tools to aid them in the job.
So without further ado, here is the list I promised you.
1. Laptop, notebook, pen and paper- we must have a way to get the word count out and something to put it on. Many still use pencil and pad, and I am not saying that is a bad thing. They certainly do not have to do any backing up, now do they?
2. Software-something to help with the formatting of the words. We can do all sorts of things with software these days, including outlining, and turning the finished work into an ebook.
3. A blog- yes, I said it. You have to have one of these places where you can put down info about the writing life. You will be glad you did.
4. A website-this is a no brainer. How will you promote yourself without one? Facebook and Twitter can go by by any day, but a website will still keep you going even if all social media disappears.
5. And finally, time. Yes, I think this is a tool, because we cannot do our job without it. And it does cost something. We must sacrifice to use this tool, and so it has great added value. But as they say in the movies, use time wisely, it is the thing future is mad of.